Tuesday, May 5, 2009

5/2 counter protests in Phoenix


So the question I have about this video is this; is this problem as simple as racism or does it have deeper socioeconomic implications? In other words, would these people care about immigration if they had universal healthcare, national education and full employment? Is this as simple as a 'Clash of Civilizations' or is it more of a class contradiction? To be honest I'm undecided at this point, but I lean more toward the classist analysis than the racist analysis, simply because their demands are more related to socioeconomic issues than anything else. It's funny because the same system that exported these people's jobs and denies them human rights in the United States is the one that put people out of work in Mexico and made them want to come here. Seems to me like they have a right to be angry but it's just going in the wrong direction, or as the Arabic proverb puts it, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Anyway, Banksy posted this song on his twitter and I thought it was appropriate, Pac recorded this back in the mid 90's, crazy how little hasn't changed since then, but I guess that's the point of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment